Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Pour Que Tu M'aimes Encore

I didn’t exactly choose to see Céline on tour in Cleveland, it chose me. Who would have thought, Cleveland, Ohio? I’d never been there, never thought of visiting. I already had tickets to see the show in my state capitol, Indianapolis. But I feared that banking on one show, a year in advance would be risky, what if she had to cancel or got sick? It was so hard trying to figure out which cities you could travel to a year in advance, with two days notice. A voice within me told me that I needed to reserve tickets for another show besides Indianapolis, just in case. I began to see what tickets were available at the shows in my neighboring state of Ohio. The fans that I knew were planning to see the shows in Ohio had already purchased their tickets, and from what I’d heard they had bought seats in the same section that I had for Indianapolis, between the seventh and tenth rows. I searched for Columbus, and I was offered about tenth row. I expected that. Then I searched Cleveland… FRONT ROW! Seriously? With the way that the entire ticket process had been, I had never expected the first row to come up a week after tickets had already gone on sale. So I asked my mom, “You wanna go to Cleveland?” She, of course, asked why I would want to go there of all places, to which I replied, “I can get FRONT row.” We had a very quick conversation and decided to go for it. My time had run out and I had to refresh the page. Low and behold, they popped up again. They were ours! I would see Céline Dion on tour for the first time, for the twelfth time altogether, from the front row…in a year!

Although at the time, a year seemed like an eternity to wait, it flew by! Before I knew it, I was rushing around to decorate a shirt to wear to the show! We left the day before, so we would have time to explore the city a little bit. However, fate had another plan in mind. Not only did I not sleep the night before, then proceeded to be unable to sleep in the car, we were stopped in a huge traffic jam for over an hour! This was not a good start.

Finally we arrived at our hotel, ate at a restaurant nearby, and I planned to go directly to sleep. I could not have been more tired. As I took a moment to unpack, my dad had already fallen asleep. My mom was wired and wanted to go check out the band that was playing in the hotel. Soon I was showered, in my Céline pajamas, and ready for bed. I drifted in and out of consciousness as my mom came back to tell me that the band was really good and I should come check them out. I wanted to, but my body needed sleep, and I ended up passing out for a couple of hours, but too soon woke up. Partially because the bed was hard as a rock, and also because the air conditioner sounded like a jet engine. I tossed and turned, managing a few minutes of sleep at a time. Then during one of my short intermittent naps, the clock radio alarm went off at 7:00am! A previous guest had set it, and had then forgotten to turn it off. I surrendered to the fact that I was just not going to get any sleep. We all got up shortly afterwards, none of us having slept well due to the uncomfortable mattress, the loud air conditioner, and the rude awakening from the alarm.
.
At this point, I’m thinking if things are going this way, this is not good. I haven’t slept in two days and tonight I am in the front row seeing Céline Dion. I knew that when it came down to it the adrenaline would kick in, but was I ever tired that day! We went to get our tickets from the ticket office at the arena in the early afternoon. The girl at the box office was excited for us when she saw we’d be in the front row. I asked her, being that I had been for a year and still currently was obsessed with where my seat would be, particularly which side seat 14 would be located. She wasn’t sure at all. So I accepted that I would just have to be surprised. And would I ever be surprised! It was seat 14 after all, and 1+4=5.
.
.
We ate at the Hard Rock Café nearby, and I struggled not to fall asleep in my bacon cheeseburger. We walked around the mall, I wanted to try to find a florist shop. I’d heard several stories of fans being able to give Céline flowers during the show, and I decided it was worth a shot. I’d never done that before, and being that I was in the front row and had a reasonable opportunity at doing so, why not? We tried to visit a florist shop in the same building as the Hard Rock Café. We’d asked someone at the information desk if they were open, and he said they would be closed in about an hour so we should hurry. We rushed ourselves to the store, and they had closed early. We then searched for a florist near our hotel, and after getting momentarily lost, we found one. We asked for a long stem rose, and the florist asked me what color. I hadn’t even thought of which color, I had assumed I would get a red one. But when she named off the colors, lavender was one of them! Lavender was a perfect choice, because not only is purple my favorite color, it was also the color of Céline’s new opening dress. It was beautiful! We returned to the hotel and I wrapped around the lavender rose the ribbon I wrap every gift I’ve given Céline, with X’s and O’s on it. I like to think she might recognize it. As well as a tag that I had made and decorated. It said very artistically on one side, “Je t’aime Céline!” and on the other side was a short and simple note telling her I adore her and her entire team, and to send all of them my best.
.
I was then going to get ready for the show, however I couldn’t move from the bed where I had involuntarily laid down. I was so tired. Both of my parents told me to rest for a moment, but I couldn’t. I tried, desperately to catch just a few minutes worth of a nap. I was too excited. Even though my body was exhausted, my brain was still very aware that I was about to see Céline Dion live in a few short hours! I laid there to rest, I figured at least that would help a little. Then my best friend Ashlee called me, and we talked. She asked me why I sounded so tired, and she told me to try to sleep to. I told her I had already tried that and had not succeeded. So I put her on speakerphone and she helped me get ready! I was sure to wear my Céline charm bracelet that my dad bought me in Las Vegas. I always wear it on my right wrist. When Céline held my hand, that was the hand she took. When René shook my hand, it was my right hand. It’s my lucky charm.
.
Finally, it was time to leave for the arena, we were already running late and I feared that I wouldn’t have time to meet with anyone. The phone had been ringing non-stop since I arrived, from other fans who wanted to meet. I wanted to meet with as many of them as possible. My dad kindly dropped us off at the crowded entrance. I was anxious and ready to go, the adrenaline was starting to kick in! I started to enter immediately, but my mom stopped me, her being the nicotine addicted one that she is needed to have a cigarette before we could go in. So I waited as patiently as I could for her. I noticed a limo right outside the entrance and wondered if it was Céline’s. I also noticed many crew members outside, wearing A New Day… jackets and tour passes around their necks. My mom asked me if I wanted a picture with my rose before we went in. I was impatient and wanting to get inside, so I declined, but wanted to be sure to get one inside with the stage in the background.
.
At last, we walked into the arena and were immediately met by security. They scanned our tickets, and my mom placed my rose that she was holding on the table to be inspected. As I was retrieving our tickets and my purse after walking through security, I heard a security guard telling my mom he didn’t think we could take the flower in. I never expected this, which is why I never thought to try to hide it or be discreet about it. He went to ask someone, and they said they were supposed to take them, but that it would still get to Céline. I said, a little upset but remaining polite, “Yeah, sure.” Hearing the skepticism and disappointment in my voice, he said, “No, honestly, we are supposed to ensure that all gifts get to the artist. This is for Céline right?” I nodded. He pointed to a door nearby, “We put them all in there and her security will come and retrieve them and take them to her.” I still didn’t believe him, but there was nothing I could do about it. I didn’t let it get to me, I was still about to see Céline Dion live from the front row! I would have regretted it afterwards had I not at least tried to bring her a rose.
.
I immediately texted everyone telling them I had arrived, while at the same time looking down into the arena to see what the stage looked like in real life. It was huge, and as my obsession regarding my seat location progressed, I noticed that no matter which side my seat would be on, it would be an awesome view! I relaxed. We then looked at the merchandise, and I was only going to allow myself to buy a program. Two ladies ahead of me were inquiring about a white shirt with pink lettering that said, “Pour Que Tu M’aimes Encore”. One of the women asked the sales lady if it was Spanish and what it meant. I nearly dropped the phone, as I was answering text messages and listening to voice mails from other fans who had arrived. The sales lady answered her correctly saying it was in French, but then gave her the wrong translation as to what it meant. She said it meant something about dreams coming true. My mom saw the look on my face, and tapped the ladies on the shoulder. She asked them what they needed to know, and that they should ask her daughter. They laughed, and asked me if I knew what it meant. I smiled and politely answered them, “It’s pronounced ‘Pour Que Tu M’aimes Encore’ and it’s the title of her most successful song in French. It means, “For You Still Love Me”, or “For Your Love I Will”. It’s about doing anything for someone’s love in return.“ They cocked their heads at me as if I had three, wondering how I could have possibly known all of that. The sales lady was curious as well, replying that, that wasn’t what they told her to say. My mom told her to trust me. I was going to add that is how Céline introduces the song during her shows… but I let it go. As I answered more messages, I mentioned to my mom that I liked a particular shirt. She asked the lady if we could see it, and it was really neat. It had the same picture as her album cover, and then on the back it was the back of her, shaking her butt. It was fun! It also listed all of the countries they had visited on the tour. It was expensive. I was used to Vegas prices, but at least there we got a TeamCéline discount. I went to answer the phone yet again as my mom asked me if that’s what I wanted, and I just said yes. I should at least get one shirt from this tour, regardless of how many reasons why I shouldn’t have. We proceeded to find the restroom, and then we searched for the right stairs to walk down to get to our section, in the FRONT row!

As we began to walk down the stairs, the first few were fairly easy because there was a railing to hang onto. However, the railing vanished soon after leaving both of us, myself in heels, to walk down these steep steps. Uh-oh. I am already quite uncoordinated in heels, so this was not good. I took my time, and I only had one stair left to go. I hadn’t stumbled or fallen, I was going to make it! YES! When suddenly I felt my right heel slip into the crack of the final step. I closed my eyes and exclaimed in frustration, “And I was so close!” All of the ushers and security guards surrounding me laughed, and two or three of them helped pull my poor shoe out. It was hysterical, leave it to me! What an entrance. It seems I make an impression no matter what venue I’m at!
.
The phone continued to ring as I attempted to find the fans I wanted to be sure to say hello to. A fan I‘d only recently known, Antoinette called me. After struggling to find each other’s location, she waved to me from the other side of the floor. My mom and I made our way through the crowd of people to say hello. We hugged, and I introduced her to my mom. We got a very quick photo, as it was too crowded to be blocking the aisles. We said we would try to find each other afterwards. As we walked back around the floor to our seats, I glanced backstage on the side I was told Céline would enter and exit from and I could see people back there. We finally made our way back to our seats when I answered another call. This time it was Doug, who lives in Cleveland. He and his girlfriend, Dalia had already taken their seats and were blocked in, so we waved to each other from where we were! I really wish we would have come up with a better plan to meet up. It didn’t take me long to discover that this was not the Colosseum, nor was it Las Vegas where you could meet up with everyone at the Slice Bar before or after the show.

Right on time, the opening act, comedian Gordie Brown took the stage. I was way too anxious to see Céline perform to truly appreciate his performance, but I have to admit parts were really funny! He opened with a song, and at the end he sang how he wished he could sing like Céline! Also, his song about Willie Nelson cracked me up, and then his impersonation of Jack Nicholson was dead on. But not only was I anxious to see Céline, I also realized I needed to use the restroom again. This is typical for me. I get nervous and I get scared I will have to go during the show and then I won’t enjoy myself. It’s a whole thing, and it happens every time. I lost count of how many times I went before Oprah, can you imagine the pressure? I’m gonna be at a live taping! What am I gonna say, “Excuse me, Oprah, can I use your restroom?” I think not. So as Gordie Brown was finishing up his act singing an Elvis song, I whispered to my mom that I needed to go. She gave me a look. I did not want to ascend or descend those steps again. I was in a panic because I had to go, and I was so scared I would miss something, so I asked one of my new usher friends who had rescued my shoe earlier, how much time we had before Céline came on. He told me and then double checked for me, that we had about a half an hour. Thank God! Gordie Brown took his bow, and then exited on my side. So I scaled the steps, and I somehow managed to run in heels. As it turns out, it wasn’t just nerves. I was thankful I ran as well, because every other woman in the building had the same idea, and the line was long when I left! I then proceeded down the steps again, all of the ushers paying special attention to me, making sure I, as well as my shoes made the journey. Even though the evil crack almost succeeded in eating my shoe again, we both made it!

I called Ashlee on the phone, to reassure her that I was conscious and hadn’t fallen asleep! Also, I wanted to try to let her listen to the first song, at least. All of a sudden the audience began to applaud. My mom and I, as well as everyone in our area looked around in confusion. My mom remembers one of Céline’s bodyguards, Vincent asking another security guard, “How far out are we?” She thought nothing of it at the time. At the same time, I saw the security guards, both Céline’s and the arena’s having a discussion, as if they were making a plan. I heard one of them say, “…we’ll come here, then go over here…” Again, I was oblivious to what was about to take place. Then simultaneously I saw nearly a hundred cell phones shoot into the air, the lights dimmed, and I knew. Céline was about to enter on MY side! I shouted, “Holy shit!” without censor, as did my mom. I threw the cell phone at my mom and attempted to take a picture. I was too caught off guard, too excited, and it all happened too fast. I did, however, get a lovely picture of all of the security guard’s feet. All of a sudden the lights went completely out, and the opening video and music began to play. However I didn’t see it, as Céline was making her way past ME! She quickly touched a couple of fans’ hands halfway through. She was moving so fast, surrounded by security guards. As she approached me, our eyes met and she smiled at me. I held my hand out slightly, as she lifted her hand and attempted to take mine, but it all happened too fast. We ended up brushing bracelets, as there were mere inches between us. (I’m telling you, it’s a lucky bracelet.) I couldn’t believe it! First of all, I’d been told where she would enter and exit from and I was convinced it would take place on the opposite side from me. Convinced! Also, I’d heard that when she entered, it’s so dark you can’t see her. Well, I did. Very clearly! Just as Céline passed me, I heard a voice exclaim loudly, “Hi Aaaaashley!!!!! I spun around to see guitarist, André as he grabbed my hand really quickly. I exclaimed, “Hi, Annndré!!!!!“ And he shouted, “Good to see you!“ How awesome. The months that I had obsessed about my seat, and all along it was the absolute perfect seat to be in! As the entire scenario was being played out, I heard my mom in the background giving Ashlee a play by play of what was happening as if she were a sports announcer, “Oh my God, Ashlee! Céline is walking right past Ashley, do you realize how close you are to Céline?! OH MY GOD!” Needless to say, mom was excited! Ashlee said it was too loud to hear anything but screaming, so I told her that I would call her after.
.
The show immediately began, and didn’t pause for a second. It was such a great entrance when the screen displays the name of the city, in my case “CLEVELAND,” and then there she is waving and smiling to us all! Even though I knew she would appear this way, it was still so exciting and you could feel the electricity and excitement flow through the audience. I knew this would be a great crowd, they were already pumped! Céline began singing, “I Drove All Night”, and then shouted, “Is that alright, Cleveland?!” The crowd roared. She worked the stage like never before. I was concerned she would favor one side over another, but she flew around that stage, giving every side of the audience equal attention! As she came to our corner, she saw me doing the “drive” motion along with her, and she bent her knees to point down towards me singing, “Crept in your room!” I loved how anytime she saw me during the show, she would bend her knees! I was thrilled, being that I’d never before seen her in such a huge arena, with five times as many audience members than in Las Vegas, that she had still found me!

She continued into “The Power of Love”, while she climbed the catwalk runway on my side. I saw the most adorable lady, sitting at the very end of the catwalk, who could not have been more overwhelmed. She was saying, “Oh my God!” over and over again while simultaneously wiping tears, and attempting to take photos with her phone. It was definitely her first Céline experience!

She sang, “Taking Chances” next, which she really got into! Then she stopped for a moment to talk to the audience. I debated whether or not I should call out to her as I always have. Being that this was a much bigger arena, I was afraid she might not hear me. She continued on, saying how great it was to be performing for us tonight, and how wonderful it is to perform her songs to us live. At this point, I decided it was worth a shot. I couldn’t bring myself to break tradition. So as loud as I could, I yelled to her that I loved her! I’m shocked that she heard me, because the acoustics were no where near like the Colosseum. She paused, looked over at me and grinned, her eyes sparkling! She then continued on, telling us about the tour, how she had gone all over the world during the past year, bringing along her mother and her son René-Charles. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
She proceeded to sing her medley of hits just as she had in Las Vegas, “It’s All Coming Back To Me Now”, then “Because You Loved Me” which she had the audience sing with her at the end. Then the beautiful, “To Love You More” was performed center stage, passionately with Jean-Sébastien on the violin! I've heard those three songs numerous times, but just as she must do every time she sings them, I fall in love all over again.
As Céline disappears for a moment to change her outfit, the dancers do a dramatic dance. My mom flirted with Miguel during this song, to which he kept smiling at her. Céline returned to the stage to perform, “Eyes on Me”! I was excited to see her perform this song, because it was the first time I was seeing it live! Her costume had a huge billowing cape, that thanks to the many fans (Actual fans, not Céline fans!) surrounding the stage, it blew behind her like a parachute. I was thrilled because this song not only took place on my side of the stage, but I also spotted a crew member placing a fan on my corner! I knew that meant she would be coming my way during this song. Sure enough she did, and she saw me singing along to every word, dancing, and pretty much being my fanatic self! This made her grin, and she motioned her hand towards me during, “It’s not an illusion that you’re the one and I have fallen deep…”
The very first song I ever remember seeing Céline perform on TV was, “All By Myself”. How do I even being to explain in words how finally seeing this song performed live made me feel? The chills that I felt seeing her perform that song when I was a little girl, never really went away. Seeing her perform that song on an awards show on TV was the moment, the instant I became a Céline fan. I never thought it would be possible to see her perform this song live, although I had always hoped for it. And on this night, I finally saw her sing the song that started it all. I was shaking the entire time, holding my breath, my eyes wide with amazement. When she hit that note, and I know you know the note I’m referring to, I’m surprised I didn’t pee my pants. Never was I more thankful that I was able to go before the show. Not only does she hit a note that breaks the sound barrier, she performs with so much passion that for a moment you believe she is all by herself and desperately doesn’t want to be. Amazing. Phenomenal. Powerful. Breathtaking. Awesome. Again, I am not able to find the right words to describe this performance. Let’s just say, I was in complete and total awe. After the song ended, I tried to find the feeling in my legs as I stood up for her probably before anyone else, and began cheering and screaming beyond my control. Céline faced the opposite side at first, and then turned to our side. She had the cutest look of surprise on her face when she noticed everyone on our side was on their feet going wild! Céline and Mégo pointed towards each other as she was lowered under the stage, as if to say, “That was awesome!"
Next she performed a remix of “I’m Alive”, I have to admit I prefer the original version. Probably only because I saw it ten times in Las Vegas, and that song will always be full of memories for me. But it was still great, lots of dancing! Then she performed two new songs I’d never seen live before, “Shadow of Love” and “Fade Away”. Both were spectacular! Céline and her dancers performed on treadmills, which was neat! Everyone looked at my mom and I a bit weird because we knew the songs! Then together with the lovely Barnev, Céline performed “I’m Your Angel”. I was excited to see this song performed live because I’d watched the DVD from her last tour ten years ago of both of them singing this very song, and had always hoped I would have the chance to see it with my own eyes!
.
Then there was “Alone”, which rocked! I’d seen her perform this last year, and that was actually the first time she’d ever performed it live. Had she ever mastered it since then! At the beginning of the song she is surrounded by transparent video screens, that made it look like it was snowing. It was neat, especially being on the corner, I could peak through and still see her! Midway through the song, the screens all rose, and then she rocked out! My absolute favorite part of the song was when she did the air violin at the end, in fact she was nearly head banging! She added notes here and there, making this a truly unique performance. She was on fire, kicking her legs in the air! At the end she blew the cutest little thumb kiss to the crowd and then waved with her thumb!
.
She sat down on top of the piano and proceeded to chat with the audience about how long it had been since she‘d last performed in Cleveland, indeed it had been ten years. Then she exclaimed, “I‘m happy!!!” and kicked her legs out! She started to make up her own song about Cleveland. She decided that Mégo and her should write one, and then gave him a high five! She then introduced the next song, “My Love“, and explained the meaning behind it. “My Love” is a song I had so looked forward to seeing live. I knew I would be on the opposite side of the stage for this song, but even though she wasn’t facing my direction, she was still on my side and I had a decent view. This is such a great song, because of it’s meaning to Céline. It amazes me how Céline can command the stage, envelope the audience, and thousands of people can remain dead silent waiting for the next note of perfection to be heard. At the end of the song, a fan on the opposite side of the stage from me was trying to approach the stage to give her roses. Security was trying to stop her, but Céline told them to let her come. She walked up to the stage crying, and Céline said, “It’s ok, don’t cry! Come here.” The girl handed her the flowers, and then Céline laid down on the stage to reach down and give her a hug. So sweet! My mom angrily exhaled and I knew why, because that could have been me with my flower. And I must admit as happy as I was for this fan, I felt it was unfair that my flower had been taken away when hers had not. I didn’t let it get to me though, obviously for whatever reason, that was not meant to be my moment. And that was ok. I was happy for the fan, you could tell it meant a lot to her, and it was her moment.
.
For the first time ever, I also saw her perform “The Prayer”. I’m sure this song is much more powerful with Andrea Bocceli singing right next to Céline, instead of on an accompanying video. But all the same, it’s a wonderful song and Céline was flawless! After this song, on another side of the stage, two fans were also able to approach the stage with flowers. Security was apparently trying to stop them too, but Céline once again told them they could come. She thanked them, and then they asked her to sign something. Céline jokingly said, “Don’t push it! If you start talking to me… how many people are here tonight? It doesn’t matter. But if you start talking to me, ooooh gonna get booed! But I’ll give you kiss and say thank you for the flowers and I’ll bring them home with me. They need some water!” Then she leaned down and quickly kissed both of them on the head. Then she said how that was the difference between being in a recording studio and trying to imagine all of us. If it would be the same, she said they would not tour. She said, “The reason why I do tour, it’s not only for the flowers, but it’s because I can feel and hear you and I can touch you and it makes me feel good!” Then she made a silly face and everyone applauded!
.
One of my favorite moments happened during the only French song in the show, “Pour Que Tu M’aimes Encore”. She began this song on my side, slowly making her way towards our corner. As usual, I was singing along, word for word, not missing a beat. Off and on throughout the show whenever Céline was out of our sight, we would stand for a better view. For whatever reason, most of the audience in our section was still standing as she approached our side. As soon as she arrived at our corner, she saw me singing and smiled. She locked eyes with me instantly and again bent her knees to lean down towards me. She sang part of the song a little bit higher expressing her elation, “Je trouverai des langages pour chanter tes lounges…” As I tend to do in her presence, I began to blow kiss after kiss after kiss to her. And I probably mouthed, “Love you!” She smiled so big, made the sweetest face as if she might cry, and put her hand over her heart. She continued to sing the entire verse of this song directly to me, and I back to her. She pointed at me, then extended her hand towards me before lifting it up towards the crowd. The she pointed down at me a second time, and kept her finger pointed towards me as she began to walk to the other side of the stage, and sang the final, “…pour que tu m’aimes encorreee…” to me with a huge smile, and you could hear her laughter in her voice! Before she continued on, she threw her arms out at me and excitedly went, “YEAH!!!!!” She’s always been thrilled to see that I know the words to her French songs, but never before have I received such a reaction! It was priceless. My mom said the people around us, including her, were in awe. I couldn’t have been happier in that moment. It was incredible and spontaneous, and her and I once again connected in that special way we always seem to. It doesn’t matter how many times it happens, I am always taken by surprise.
The next two songs were a tribute to Queen, “We Will Rock You” and “The Show Must Go On”. I was excited to see these songs performed, not only because I love the songs but because I was raised on these songs. It was awesome hearing Céline sing lyrics such as, “Kickin’ your can all over the place!” I also saw Mégo dancing and getting into it! The show stopper was “The Show Must Go On”, Céline and André rocked the house! Wow. It was sensational! I loved André’s guitar solo, when Céline falls to the ground and grabs his leg! Then at the very end of the song they are center stage and she does the air guitar right next to him. It was impressive! You have got to love it when Céline plays her air instruments!

Afterwards, all of the musicians and backup singers performed a medley of songs while Céline changed costumes. Élise ended up singing on our corner for a bit. My mom said, “Élise!” and waved at her. She said, “Hey!” and waved back. Then her eyes shifted towards me, and right away she had this surprised look on her face as she enthusiastically pointed, waved, and said, “HEEEEEEY!!!!!” very loudly into the mic! This caught me totally off guard, it was hysterical! Keep in mind, I’ve never officially met Élise. She’s always waved to me in Vegas from the stage, but I never thought she would remember me from that alone. I waved back with a smile from ear to ear, I was so touched. It made my night!

Once again, Céline popped up from the middle of the stage joining in at the end of the medley singing, “I Got the Feelin’” and then led into “It’s A Man’s Man’s World”. This woman can sing anything, even James Brown! She was standing on a rotating platform and all of the male dancers wore tuxedos and top hats dancing around her. It reminded me of A New Day… a little bit. At the end of the song, the platform that Céline had stood on was wheeled past me by the crew, in fact every prop that was used in the show ended up being wheeled past me on it’s way backstage! Next was the crowd pleaser, “Love Can Move Mountains” and she was so fun during this song, asking everyone to get up and dance with her as usual! When she reached our corner, she pointed at me and then to herself while singing, “Just believe it, believe in you and you and I!” She then began dancing like crazy with her dancers surrounding her. I was singing and dancing right along with them! She then looked at me and began to joke around and play with her already extremely short dress, acting as if she were going to lift it up! This dress had no where to go! My mouth dropped open in shock and I started laughing at her. She joked around with her dancers and then said, “Oh, you go girl!” She cracks me up! During this song many of the musicians and backup singers move around the stage. I was happy about this, because I couldn’t see a few of them for the majority of the show as they were on the opposite side. André, the guitarist, made his way to my side, and he immediately found me with his eyes and smiled! I waved and smiled at him full of excitement! His smile beamed across his face as he stopped playing his guitar to animatedly wave back to me. Yes, you read that correctly, he STOPPED playing his guitar during a live show to wave to ME! He waved and smiled for quite a long pause, and I waved back while laughing in disbelief! I was so touched, he’s the best! My mom said literally everyone around us kept looking at me. Everyone who has witnessed Céline with me has said that this happens, I'm always oblivious to it. They see everyone, even Céline, acknowledging me in big ways, and they wonder who I am. It makes me laugh, because I’m just a fan. I’m a die-hard fan, but I’m just a very lucky die-hard fan! As Céline made her way around the stage, and then finally to center stage, crazy Céline emerged. She tends to get goofy when I’m present, and I adore it! This time she began making monkey noises. Yes, Céline was making monkey noises! She stopped singing the lyrics and had temporarily morphed into an ape. To top it off at the end of the song she started scratching her head, her chest, and then made the silliest face before throwing her arms in the air to end the song! She shouted, “Thank you, goodnight!” As everyone applauded anxiously awaiting the encore, I was still trying to contain myself after the monkey noises… how could you not love her?

She popped up from the middle of the stage again for her encore, “River Deep Mountain High”! She as well as her dancers performed it much similar to A New Day…, her playing with her mic stand and all, except this time she was lifted high into the air on a platform! At the end of the song, she again said, “Thank you, good night!” when we all knew there was one song she had yet to sing. As she was lowered back under the stage, she was still playing with her mic stand, obviously so pumped up and full of energy! My mom said towards the end of this song, the drummer Dominique, turned completely around while still playing the drums to smile at me. I totally missed it, but thankfully my witness was not as far in the zone as I was. If it wasn’t for my witnesses, I may not know of half of the things that occur during my Céline experiences.
.
Of course, the final song of the night was, “My Heart Will Go On”. Even though this is my least favorite song of all of her songs because it means the show is coming to an end, I still love it. Especially when you hear it live, you can feel that the majority of the people in the audience have been waiting for her to sing her signature song. First a video played with clips from the movie, “Titanic” while the lovely Élise played the flute so beautifully. Once Céline emerged back onto the stage, it was very hard to see her from where I was sitting. There were candles lifted up on each corner of the stage, and that was all I could see for the beginning part of the song because she was up so high on the platform again. At the end, she was lowered down to stage level where she sang the end of the song while walking all the way around the stage with her dress flowing behind her. She then thanked us and said good night, as well as acknowledging her musicians and dancers. The entire arena stood on their feet and erupted into applause, for this had been an incredible show!

As I was standing and applauding the amazingly talented people on the stage, I saw Nick move an empty chair in front of the blockade on our corner. I wondered why, and then it hit me. Nick was on my side. Nick is her bodyguard. She was going to exit the same way she entered! The chair was to keep people from sneaking across! Again, I had a momentary freak out. I whispered to my mom, “Oh. My. God. Nick‘s on our side!” I then had to explain to my mom what that meant. A little voice from somewhere inside told me I needed to give the camera to my mom, that I would need both hands. Why? I don’t know, I just knew I would. So I handed the camera to my mom. She asked, “Don’t you want it?” I said, “No, I want to say hi!”
.
Almost immediately, the dancers and musicians exited by me. I extended my hand to all of them, and they all acknowledged me despite the fact that they all had to keep moving so fast. First were most of the dancers, including Miguel. He was also in A New Day…, although I never met him in Las Vegas. He smiled at me and shook my hand. Then the lovely Mégo, who saw me, his eyes and smile widening. He came right up to me with the biggest smile saying, “Hello!! Hello!!! Hello!!!!!” I extended one hand to him, and instead he grabbed both of my hands and tightly shook them with excitement! As I greeted him, “Hi Mégo!!!” Élise soon followed and when she saw me, she danced (Yes, danced!) right up to me with her arms out, taking both of my hands/arms into hers going, “Heeeeeeeyyyyy!!!!!” with the most ecstatic smile ever. She shook my whole body as she danced with my hands, making them go up and down with hers several times! I exclaimed with laughter, “Hi Éliseeeee!!!” as I joined her in the happy dance. Then Marc graciously smiled at me and tightly shook my hand, nodding his head. Dominique took my hand and sandwiched it in between both of his with a big grin, and his eyes twinkled at me giving me a wink. He must have seen, or surely heard me behind him all night! Nanette and Mary-Lou smiled at me and shook my hand. Barnev smiled at me, kindly taking my hand into his going, “Hey!!!” Then André, sweet André. I reached my hands out to him and he took them into his saying, “Ashley, so good to see you!” I said, “You too!“ Then he released my hands, and to my delight opened his arms wide for a hug! I immediately opened my arms and he squeezed me into the tightest hug ever! See now, I knew I would need both hands. He rocked me from side to side, and each time one of my feet would nearly leave the ground! Then I got a kiss on each side, the second right on the cheek! He then said again, “So glad I saw you!” I took his hands again, and said, “You too! GREAT show!!!” And he said, “Thank YOU!!!” with a big smile. Jean-Sébastien and Yves went around André and I in order to keep the line moving. I’m sure they already know I adore them too! The phenomenally talented band that has backed Céline for more than fifteen years, is truly the most genuine group of people on the planet. I adore them. All of them. They are so kind, and so friendly… and I am so honored to have met them. I hope they know how much their acknowledgements mean to me. And being that I tell them every chance I get, I think the odds of them knowing that are pretty good.
.
After being greeted by the band, I spun around and saw that Céline was already exiting. She was moving so quickly, that I didn’t have time to prepare myself what-so-ever. She was touching as many hands as she could saying, “Thank you!” and “Bye, bye!” She was blowing kisses, and waving to fans. As she was getting closer to me, I held both of my hands slightly out towards her. She was moving very quickly, so I assumed if she did shake or touch my hand, it would be in passing and this way I would have double the opportunity. Of course, I wanted her to acknowledge me, but I would never force it or become aggressive in any way. If it’s meant to be, it’ll happen. Also, I was so overjoyed after being greeted so warmly by the band, and was still content about my moment during my last show in Las Vegas. As much as I would love to have another moment like that with Céline, I was at ease. It had happened for me. I still dream of being able to actually sit down for a moment to talk with her, to thank her for everything she has meant to me in my life. But knowing that I have all of these amazing moments and memories to keep tucked inside my heart forever was more than I‘d ever dreamed possible! How could I ever expect more? I didn’t. Not at all. Both of her bodyguards were blocking fans‘ hands, one of them on each side, both of them asking audience members to stand back. Vincent was on my side, and he went to gently block my left arm with his right arm. Then he proceeded to ask the same of me, “Please, ma’am---” when he abruptly stopped mid-sentence as Céline tenderly took the arm he was attempting to block, rubbing my wrist affectionately with her thumb just as she had done to my hand the year before. This sent a signal to Vincent, because he immediately removed his arm and didn‘t do or say anything else to me. Just as this was happening, another fan opposite me was trying to give Céline a rose. Letting go of my wrist, she graciously turned to accept it and thanked the fan quickly. Then to my shock and utter disbelief, she didn’t continue walking, although that was certainly what her bodyguards were urging her to do. There were hands coming at Céline from every direction, but she still turned back to me even as many fans were still clutching onto her left hand. She looked down for a moment deep into my eyes the way only Céline can, and smiled at me so sincerely. It’s amazing how each time Céline and I make eye contact, no matter how brief, we seem to speak to each other with our eyes. We both know there isn’t enough time for me to tell her all that I would like to, but my eyes are telling her how much I adore her… and her eyes are telling me that she knows and shares the affection. No words need to be spoken, our eyes did all of the talking. I was in a trance, gazing once again into those gorgeous eyes highlighted by dramatic eyelashes when suddenly and without warning, I felt my head being thrust forwards. It took me a moment to realize that Céline had lovingly pulled me into her with her right arm. Everything proceeded in slow motion. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Céline’s face… the sweetest smile, the one she makes when she’s truly touched. Her eyes began to close as she drew near. I felt her smush her face against mine as tightly as she possibly could. So tightly in fact, I thought we might fuse together! She molded the entire side of her face into mine, her cheekbone hitting my cheekbone, as the other side of my face landed in her hair! (In case you were wondering… her hair smelled absolutely wonderful!) I felt her hand squeezing against the back of my head, then my neck and shoulder pulling me in hard. I didn’t have a whole lot of reaction time, as you can imagine this happened extremely quick, but I did reach my right arm (displaying my lucky bracelet) up around her with my hand resting affectionately on the side of her head. Then I felt her lips against my cheek, and then a loud, enthusiastic kiss sound near my ear, as she gave me a kiss on the cheek. While this was happening, I once again felt that no one else existed but her and I. My mind was in disbelief, while my fingers were intertwined in her hair making it impossible for me to deny this as reality. It amazed me how we could experience such a peaceful moment amongst such a huge crowd. Both of her bodyguards, Vincent and Nick, were trying to keep the surrounding audience members from her, and I could tell they wanted her to keep moving before chaos ensued. And she did continue on after she had acknowledged me, after she had given me as much time as she possibly could to once again make a dream of mine come true. I had dreamt for so long of giving her a hug, never fathoming a kiss on the cheek. I had always felt that if there wasn’t enough time to tell her everything she has meant and continues to mean in my life, then a hug would suffice. Maybe with that gesture I could somehow convey how much her presence in my life has meant. Never once, in all of my years of dreaming did I ever imagine that she would be the one to hug me. That it would be her that would initiate the embrace. I didn’t have a gift for her or a flower, nor did move from my seat or make any gestures to get her attention. She had hugged me. She had chosen me out of all of those people, a huge sold out arena, the biggest audience I’d ever seen her with! It was astonishing, my mind had officially been blown! My mom, who was watching all of this unfold from behind me, told me later that it looked as if Céline had been looking for me, to make sure she didn‘t pass by me. I may never know why she chose me, but one thing is for sure, it’s yet another moment that I will never take for granted, nor shall I ever forget.
.
I remember hearing a lady behind me exclaim, “Oh my God!” after all of the band and Céline had greeted me, and a lady next to my mom yell, “Oh… wow!” with increasing volume after each greeting I received. I was speechless afterwards, totally stunned. It seemed as if I was still moving in slow motion. I slowly turned around to see the reaction on my mom’s face as I covered mine with my hands. From the widened look of her eyes, I knew she’d seen it all occur. I then saw the reaction of the two ladies next to her, with the same wide eyed expression, they’d seen it too. This is the moment when I realize what has just happened has in fact been witnessed by others, therefore it must have been real. I expected my usual reaction to this involving a combination of hyperventilating, crying, and laughing. Let’s call it, Céline overload. My mom was expecting it as well, ready to catch me if my legs gave out or tell me to breathe if I stopped. To my shock and her disbelief, I did exceptionally well. I was shaking uncontrollably, and profoundly overwhelmed… but I’m getting better! The first words to leave my mouth were, “Did that just happen?” My mom jumped up and down and exclaimed, “YES!” Then one of the two ladies who sat next to us said, “It happened!!” I asked, “What happened?” And she confirmed, “You just got a hug and a kiss from Céline Dion!” I put my hands to my face again and said, “Ok, that’s what I thought!” She asked, “Do you need me to pinch you?!” I said without pause and only half joking, “Uh-huh.” So she reached over and lightly pinched my hand! I asked her to do it a second time just to be sure, and she obliged. Then I looked at the window of the camera and saw that my mom had indeed captured my moment with Céline. I gasped and stumbled when I saw it, partially out of shock seeing Céline’s intense gaze into my eyes once again, but also because it was about the only picture my mom took that night that turned out. Taking pictures at a Céline concert was so foreign to me, half way through the show I had forgotten to keep taking them. My mom had, with good intentions taken over, and she doesn’t have the best relationship with the camera. Somehow she had been able to take THE picture. The stars had definitely aligned for that one! After my stumble, my mom asked me, “Do you want to go or sit down?“ I said, “Sit. Sit down. I need to sit.“ This was unbelievable. The scenario replayed in my mind over and over as I tried to regain consciousness. I had entered the Céline zone, when I stare off into the abyss trying to give my brain time to absorb the profoundness of what has just occurred. I then noticed the crew was already disassembling the stage and wheeling out the wardrobe. We needed to go, so with the help of my mom, I made my way up those treacherous steps for the final time, with warnings from the ushers, “Watch yourself, girl!“ Just before we left, I saw the screen above the stage that read the words, “Thank you! Love, Céline xo” I thought to myself, “No, Céline -- thank you. Thank you all so very much.”

There is not a more kindhearted person than Céline. She will give as much time to her fans that she possibly can. She connects with them… she truly sees them. And that is why we love her so much, because she loves us too. She doesn’t have to continue performing for us, she does it because she still loves it. She loves interacting with us, to hear our applause, and to make us smile. I can’t convey it enough not only what an amazing performer she is, but furthermore what a phenomenal woman that she is. As someone of her stature, she has not changed, she does not put herself on a different level than ours. She is as genuine and authentic as you could ever want someone you look up to, to be.

Nearly every person who has seen Céline with me over the past few years has told me that she recognizes me. That she remembers me. They say it like it’s the most obvious thing in the world. That I would be an idiot not to know this by now. But I have a tough time believing it. I mean this is Céline Dion we’re talking about here. The Céline Dion. Until six years ago, I never thought it would be possible to see her perform live even once. Céline knowing me, recognizing my face seems incomprehensible. But with all of the videos she seen, the connection we have shared during the shows I‘ve been to, the jokes we’ve made, the times when she has performed almost entirely to me, and knowing my letter & card were read… it makes you wonder. What if? Why not? Many members of her team obviously recognize me by now, why couldn’t she? I have been a very lucky fan in that I seem to make an impression on the people that I’ve met over the years, that every gift I’ve made for her has been received by her, and at every show she finds me and acknowledges me so much I wonder each time if I’m dreaming. I know it seems somewhat obvious she may remember me, and that she very well could. Céline does have a functioning memory, and it becomes increasingly frustrating to those around me that I have such a difficult time comprehending what they feel is blatantly obvious. It’s just much too much. I know that I have a strong connection with her, but so do many fans all over the world. Many of them having seen her perform many more times than I have. My mind simply cannot grasp that she would remember me. Even though I know Céline is just the type of person who would remember little me from Indiana and that‘s why I love her. She pays attention, she notices the fans who know all the words in every language. She connects with her fans, and that bond doesn‘t just go away, it is always present. I understand there are many reasons why she would, and that she probably could find my face familiar by now. But do I think she knows me? That would be so amazing! Does everyone else think she does? Yes. And they think I’m a moron for not allowing myself to realize it.

After I had safely ascended the stairs, I immediately called my dad. He was back at the hotel room, and half asleep when I called. The moment he answered the phone the news came pouring out of my mouth, “Guess who I got a hug and a kiss on the cheek from?” Still waking up he replied, “Uh… I don’t know, who?” I said, “Céline!!! And all of the band greeted me…” At this point I become incoherent as all of the events of the night come pouring out all at once. My dad kept saying, “Alright, Bug! That’s awesome!” (Bug has been my nickname from my parents since birth, because I was so tiny when I was born prematurely. It just kind of stuck.) I then told him that we would be ready out front when he arrived, and I couldn’t wait to show him the picture that my mom had miraculously taken!

While I was talking to my dad, unbeknownst to me, my mom was on a mission. The instant she arrived at the top of the stairs, she spotted him. The security guard. More importantly, the security guard who had treated her baby girl unfairly. This guy was in trouble! I’d long forgotten the flower had even existed… I couldn’t remember much of anything except that this night had been amazing, and that I’d met Céline and her lovely band once again! However, my mom remembered. She approached the security guard with a look of rage, I’m assuming much similar to a lioness guarding her cubs, or in this case, cub. She was serious, and he knew she was coming for him. Marching right up towards him she asked, “Do you remember me? Do you remember my daughter?” He nodded and replied, “Yes.” My mom continued, “Do you remember taking her flower? Did you see all of the fans inside with flowers? Did you know that several fans were able to give her their flowers during and after the show? Do you know that we were in the front row and could have easily handed her a rose at some point?” With a look of fear upon his face, he responded that he did not know that, that he was only doing what he was told, and that it was indeed very unfair. By this time I realize what is going on, and step in to save the poor guy. Pointing at him jokingly, I said, “You would be in sooo much trouble if she hadn’t given me a kiss on the cheek tonight!” His eyes got big and he said, “From her?” I nodded. He exhaled loudly, grabbed his heart, and leaned forwards saying, “Oh, thank God! I felt so bad!” He then told me that I should write the arena and inform them that not all of their employees are following the rules, and it’s extremely unfair. He then followed with, “Céline will get your rose though. There were a few others besides yours and her people took them to her, so she did get them.” I gave him a suspicious look, and he confirmed again, “She did!” I wanted to believe him, I suppose I will never truly know. But flower or no flower, I’m sure Céline knows how much I adore her.

I saw Antoinette once again, and we were able to chat for a moment. Doug also called me, and he had already left the venue. It was a shame we didn’t get to meet, but he told me that night and the next day that he’d seen Céline grab me on the way out! I was so excited I had another witness. He also informed me that it had been shown on the huge screens as well, I had completely forgotten about that. He also said what I’d heard many times before, “She so knows you!” My mom and I made our way outside, as we were probably the last ones still there. We stood for a while and chatted with Antoinette, when the security guard reemerged once again. He came walking towards my mom, opening his arms, and said, “You know, I’m a hugger - may I?” My mom, who had softened up quite a bit by now about the whole ordeal, opened her arms for a hug. He was a very nice guy, and he ended up winning my mom over in the end.

My dad arrived, and the few steps we had to take to get to the car were excruciating. I was beginning to regain the feeling in my feet, and it wasn’t pleasant. They were nearly numb, but not in a good way, and I felt like I was walking on stubs! We made our way back to the hotel, my mom and I filling my dad in on every detail. My mom did most of the talking as I was still in the zone, trying to absorb it all. Upon arrival, I immediately printed the picture my mom had taken. My dad was astounded, and I remembering him saying, “She’s looking directly at you!“ I stared at the picture in disbelief. The picture I thought I might never have. Of course, I would have initially preferred one of us both facing the camera, but this photo was pretty spectacular and quite unique. It captured our eye to eye contact that always means so much, and not just the both of us simply staring into a camera lens. I’ve never been a fan of posed pictures, I love when the more spontaneous moments are captured. It astonished me now to think that I thought I would never have the opportunity to see her perform live. Now that I have seen her many times, I don‘t think of her as the best selling female artist of all time, although she very much is. It doesn’t take long to feel so comfortable in her presence, for that everlasting connection she has with her fans to take hold. You immediately realize that despite her awe-inspiring talent, she is one of us. When I see her and her phenomenal band perform, I feel as if I am cheering on friends. They are all so wonderful, and they make every experience truly unforgettable!

During the long car ride home to Indiana, I was emotionally and physically exhausted. None of us were able to sleep very much for the same reasons as the night before, despite being so tired. We were nearly home, and I couldn’t wait to sleep in my own bed. After leaning against the window resting, I had smudged my glasses. I took them off to clean them. The sunlight bounced across them, and I noticed something sparkling on the right side. It was almost a golden color. It looked like, well… makeup. It was imprinted all along the side. But how could I have gotten makeup on the outside of my glasses? Then it occurred to me who this mysterious makeup smudge must belong to. I said candidly, “Dude, I think Céline’s makeup is on my glasses.” My mom asked skeptically, “What? Let me see.” She took my glasses, stared at them for a lengthy amount of time and said, “Céline’s makeup is on your glasses.” We both started laughing! She had smushed my face so hard against hers that her makeup was literally embedded in my glasses. Now there’s a souvenir!

A little over a month later, my parents and I journeyed to Indianapolis for our second show of the tour. However, the morning after we’d arrived, we discovered that the show had been postponed. This was heartbreaking, of course, but I was more concerned about Céline’s health. She ultimately postponed all but one show during the month of November to recover. Thankfully, Céline was well enough in December to continue performing. But unfortunately we were unable to attend the rescheduled date in December, due to everything that could go wrong, going wrong. I was very disappointed that I wasn’t able to welcome her to my home, which is something I’d looked forward to for quite some time. Since purchasing the tickets over a year ago, when I’d had an intuitive feeling that she might cancel in Indianapolis. When that inner voice told me that we needed to get tickets for another show, just in case she got sick. To anyone who doesn’t believe things happen for a reason, there you have it!

As a Céline fan, so many dreams have come true for me. Many dreams I thought might not ever come true. I would have never imagined that the woman I saw performing on TV as a little girl would soon be looking me directly in the eyes singing to me. Never would I have believed that the immensely talented people on stage with her would know who I am. Above all, never had I considered the possibility that I would have had so many amazing moments with Céline. Moments that have meant so very much to me. I’d dreamt of it all, but I thought those dreams were far too big and that perhaps I was wishing for far too much. But Céline has always taught me to dream big, and to believe especially in the big dreams, the seemingly impossible ones. Because even the biggest of dreams are possible, and may very well one day come true!

No comments: